Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Blogging. . . .Hmmm. . . . .The only thing I can think to write about is the thing that has consumed my life for about the last thirty five years. Depression. It is my hope that my words might help others who struggle.

I trace my depression back to a day I came home from school. I was a rising ninth grader. I was beaming as I told my parents I was going out for cheerleading. I pictured myself in the green and gold uniform of a Summerville Greenwaves junior varsity cheerleader as I broke the news. The response I got: "We're moving." My father was transferred to Dover, Delaware. I moved into a new house the day before ninth grade started and then the rain came.

I sank into a deep depression. I was so depressed by the end of my senior year, I attempted suicide for the first time. I'm not sure anyone really noticed. My dad was busy transporting the dead back from Vietnam and when he got passed over for promotion (kicked out of the military)my mother had to return to work. They had six children to feed. Besides what is the difference between a normal moody teenage girl and one who is severely depressed?

No comments:

Post a Comment